Saturday, February 12, 2011

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." ~Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Today my friends and I went for afternoon tea. Tea parties are as fun for grown women as they are for little girls. We went to the Scarlet Tea Room on Green Street in Pasadena.

The next time I'm at Ross I'm going to buy a fancy hat to wear for our next tea party.

The tea service began with a sweet raspberry sorbet- "to cleanse the palate."

As part of the tea service each of us chose a different tea "infusion." Cristina chose Eve’s Temptation - An infusion of blood orange, mango & apple; for Lisa- Once Upon A Tea - An infusion of chocolate bits, vanilla, mint & a secret. I chose Really Raspberry - Raspberry, rose hips, orange peel, hibiscus, fruit blend, berry leaves & pomegranate. They were all very good, but my favorite was Eve's Temptation.
I have to admit that I liked having my own tea pot. It was fun.

It was also fun using gold tongs to handle the sugar cubes.


We enjoyed a scone...


The scone was accompanied by fresh, whipped cream, strawberry preserves, and lemon curd.

The small, dainty sandwiches were just like the ones you read about in Jane Austen novels (or if you are like me you see them in Jane Austen movies).
They varied from walnut, chicken pesto and Parmesan to fig and goat cheese, sun-dried tomato and mozzarella, to green apples and cheese, salmon and chive spread, and brie, walnut and watercress.

I don't think I need to elaborate about dessert- this picture is enough.

Just when we thought the tea service was done, the waiter came out with fresh berries and whipped cream. I LOVE whipped cream.

It was so much fun. I think the only males in the entire joint were the waiters and the pianist.
I'm totally serious about getting an outrageously fancy hat for the next time we have afternoon tea.

4 comments:

  1. Did you eat all that stuff and how much was it. I Want to GO!! Hell with Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous!!! That place looks so cute, lets go next time I am in town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea time!!!! This looks way posh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! You totally need a fancy hat!

    ReplyDelete